Help with Specific Needs – Additional Learning Provision

What is Additional Learning Provision?

Additional learning provision for a child or young person aged three or over means educational or training provision that is additional to, or different from, that made generally for others of the same age in schools, Further Education Colleges or other educational settings.

Additional Learning Provision for a child aged under three means educational provision of any kind.

Additional educational provision takes many forms. For most children with learning difficulties and Additional Learning Needs this will be in their mainstream class or group. It can include group work orindividual support that takes place inside or outside the mainstream classroom. It could also be attendance in a specialist provision, or a specialist school.

A parent may ask the following question:

I’m really worried and the school/ nursery is concerned about my child’s progress. What will happennext?”

All children are different. The first thing to do is arrange a meeting with the class teacher/ setting leaderto discuss concerns and work out the best ways to support your child.

If your child doesn‘t make progress despite well-targeted teaching, you or the teacher should speak to the person in your child’s school or nursery responsible for Additional Learning Needs (i.e. the AdditionalLearning Needs Co-ordinator or ALNCo) and together you may decide your child needs additional support.

What will happen next?

The ALNCo will work with your child’s teacher to assess whether your child has the support they need.They will also do this by talking to you and your child, and looking at your child or young person work, progress and behaviour.

The school or nursery or college must tell you if they think your child has additional needs and about what action they plan on taking.

There are different stages for helping children with Additional Learning Needs depending on each child’s needs. For most children their needs can be met within their local school and setting. If your child is doing well they may not need to go to the next stage. If their needs are severe or complex they may need the advice and support of outside agencies.

What if my school is unable to help? 

Your child’s nursery or school may decide that they cannot meet all your child’s needs. They can then ask for advice from the Local Inclusion Team, which is made up of specialists within the Local Authority. They will look at the problems facing your child and discuss how to help them. The school or nursery must ask for your consent before they do this.  The school must:

  • work closely with you and your child to identify your child’s needs and support;
  • take into account you and your child’s concerns, views, agreed outcomes and next steps;
  • include you in any decision to involve specialists;
  • share details of the support plan with you and agree a review date;
  • ask you and your child for your views when reviewing the ALN support plan.

Local Support in West Wales

Parent Partnership Services provide support and advice to parents whose children have Additional Learning Needs. Information and advice is provided by a dedicated team who provide accurate and neutral information.