How to Access Help and Support

Generally, support for pupils with Additional Learning Needs follows a ‘graduated response. That meansthe school build up the intensity of support if they are not responding as hoped to the work being done to increase their progress.

There are currently three graduated stages of intervention:

  • Firstly, additional support provided by schools themselves (School Action);
  • Secondly, additional support by schools together with the involvement of external agencies providing a package of support (School Action Plus); and
  • Thirdly, a Statement of SEN provides a statutory assessment from a range of agencies for children and young people with complex needs.

If you have concerns over the progress your child is making, you should first talk to the class teacher orthe Additional Learning Needs Coordinator (ALNCo).

Alternatively, the school or pre-school may contact you to let you know of their concerns.

If it is agreed that the pupil has Additional Learning Needs, the school will assess whether the provision to meet those needs can be provided at School / Early Years Action or a request needs to be made forsupport from the Local Authority Support Services and so be considered at Early Years / School ActionPlus.

I think my child has Additional Learning Needs (ALN) What can I do?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress:

  • Have you spoken to your child’s school about your concerns?
  • Does your child have an Individual Development (Educational) Plan- ID(E)P?

Who should you speak to in school?

The first person to speak to is always your child’s class teacher or form tutor. You might want to do thisat a parent consultation session or to make a separate appointment to see them.

If you want to, you could ask for the meeting in writing or by email, setting out what it is you want to talk about. Here is a sample letter /email:

Dear Mrs Jones,

I would like to arrange to see you in school next week to talk about James’ progress. I do not feel that James is reading as well as his sister did at the same age and would be grateful for an opportunity to discuss this with you.

I can be available during the morning/after school/at lunchtime etc. and can be contacted on….

Yours sincerely,

After you have spoken to the class teacher they may involve another teacher in the school known as the Additional Learning Needs Coordinator (ALNCo). The ALNCo has responsibility for what happens on a day-to-day basis in the school for pupils with Additional Learning Needs.  The ALNCo also provides professional advice to other teachers in the school to help all pupils to make progress. The head teacher and school governors also have responsibilities in law, in relation to children with Additional Learning Needs.

Local Support in West Wales

Parent Partnership Services provide support and advice to parents whose children have Additional Learning Needs. Information and advice is provided by a dedicated team who provide accurate and neutral information.