What Are My Rights and Responsibilities?


  • can talk to nursery/school/college staff with any concerns;
  • should be consulted about decisions that affect your child;
  • have a vital role in supporting your child or young persons education;
  • should have your views taken into account;
  • should be informed by school when they first start giving extra or different help for yourchild;
  • know that the wishes of your child should be listened to;
  • have a copy of your child’s Individual Development (Education) Plan, ID(E)P.

Dont forget, this website contains lots of pages of helpful information and relevant links to help keep you aware of what is available and the processes involved; if you want to talk to someone who knows about Additional Learning Needs, you can get help and advice from the Local Authority ParentPartnership service

What Information should be available to Parents from their Childs School?

Your school should provide you with the following:

A Prospectus
The prospectus normally contains useful information about the school (e.g. which subjects are studied, the length of the school day, details of the school uniform, out of school activities, health matters, etc).

Schools must have written policy statements on matters relating to the effective running of the school, including support for learners with Additional Needs

Most schools send regular newsletters to parents giving information about school life (e.g. events andactivities, school in-service training day closures (INSET), staff changes, etc).

Pupil reports
Schools have to send a written report at least once a year to parents of children of compulsory schoolage. The report should explain progress, the pupil’s strengths and weaknesses. The school report shouldnot be used to raise serious issues with parents for the first time about their child’s progress.

Your child’s school records
As a parent, you have a right to access your childs educational record. This covers information such as the records of the pupil’s academic achievements as well as correspondence from teachers, Local Authority employees and educational psychologists engaged by the school’s governing body. It may also include information from the child and from you, as a parent. (If yorequire such information about your child, you should make the request in writing to the headteacher).

Other records that may be included:
Pupils who have Additional Learning Needs and require additional support from the school should have an Individual Development (Education) Plan – ID(E)P.

. This should describe:

  • what the child’s additional needs are;
  • how the school aims to meet those needs and the type of help that is to be provided;
  • targets for the child to work toward;
  • how the school will measure success and how often the plan will be reviewed.

It is considered good practice for you and your child to be consulted about the ID(E)P and for the plan to contain information about what parents can do at home to reinforce what is happening at school.Schools should invite parents to attend or contribute to the review of the plan.

Parents’ evenings/consultations provide an opportunity to look at your child’s work and to discuss progress with the teacher(s). However, you may be limited to a 5 or 10-minute session with the teacherand if you have a lot to discuss you might find it helpful twrite to the teacher before the meeting to let them know the issues you want to raise, or ask for an alternative appointment to allow more time for discussion.

For more detailed information, please use the link below to read the booklet: ‘Information for Parents and Carers of Children and Young People who may have Special Educational Needs’ produced by the Welsh Assembly Government.


Local Support in West Wales

Parent Partnership Services provide support and advice to parents whose children have Additional Learning Needs. Information and advice is provided by a dedicated team who provide accurate and neutral information.