Who decides what ALN support my child has?

Class teachers, supported by the senior leadership team and the ALNCo, should make regularassessments of progress for all pupils. These should seek to identify pupils making less than expected progress given their age and individual circumstances.

The school should then decide if your child needs Additional Learning Needs support. The school should talk to you and your child about this. If a young person is 16 or older the school should involve them directly.

Sometimes you may be the first to be aware that your child has some Additional Learning Needs. If you think your child may need ALN support you should talk to your child’s teacher or to the AdditionalLearning Needs Coordinator (ALNCo).

If you are not happy about the support your child has you can ask to talk to the Additional LearningNeeds Coordinator or headteacher.

How are childrens needs identified and assessed and what action is taken by the school?

The current Special Educational Needs’ Code of Practice for Wales gives guidance on the additional ordifferent action that should be taken to meet the needs of pupils. It says that for most pupils, extra helpwill be provided in the classroom managed by the class or subject teacher.

This could be achieved by working with the rest of the class in small groups or on a one-to-one basis with a teacher or teaching assistant for short periods.

Different actions may need to be taken for pupils at Early Years/School Action, Early Years/ School Actionplus or those with Statements of SEN.

Local Support in West Wales

Parent Partnership Services provide support and advice to parents whose children have Additional Learning Needs. Information and advice is provided by a dedicated team who provide accurate and neutral information.